Log in

No account? Create an account

academic update

« previous entry | next entry »
Nov. 27th, 2015 | 10:39 am

Two months into my scholarship here in Tampere.

- While here, I came up with the idea of using a choose-your-own-adventure story set in Westeros to research player-character identification experimentally. I've now submitted the paper based on this experiment to a journal. I'm pleased to have found statistically significant findings.
- I've also developed a second paper, a thematic analysis of constructions of 'gamer' by gamergate. This is something of a side project and not part of my thesis itself. I've also submitted this to a journal.

So, two papers from scratch in two months. I'm waiting to hear back if they get accepted (and what scale of revisions are needed), but very happy with that.

I've got one further grant application submitted and pending, and if that doesn't happen I've got another small one to work on applying for, which I'll try to do in December.

Plan for December:
- revisit the theory based paper I mentioned previously, to develop it further. Hopefully doing this will generate further hypothesis to test for other papers to work on next term
- write a single Solmokhota article; a retrospective on my series of psychodrama games over the last 5 years

I've submitted a proposal for a short programme item for Solmokhota, to present the research I've done while here.

Side project:

- The larp I'm co-designing is coming on well. We are fully booked, with a lot of repeat players from my previous larps. I need to get the character writing work finished off in December as well, but it's over half complete already.  Team meeting next week to work on the project together.

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {0}